Originally known as the Traveler's Rest, this 1851 stage stop may be the oldest wooden structure in Auburn.
A Greek Revival style influence can be seen in this building's pediment-shaped window heads and gable ends with returns. The long brick building facing the street is known as the Winery.
The two-story house was constructed in 1851 and was operated as a stage stop by Bishop and Long until 1858 when it became Bishop's home. In 1864, the house sold at public auction to Eliza Caruthers for $4,722.71. She then sold it to Benjamin Bernhard for $3,500.00 in 1868. Both sales included 30 acres of land.
Bernhard, who had at one time been a teamster, added the west, single story wing to the house in 1870 and turned his property into a productive farm, purchasing 10 more acres for $85.00. Around 1872 he tried his luck at raising silkworms but failed. Bernhard then built the winery in 1874. Before the winery was built, the road to Folsom went directly in front of the house. It was realigned to pass in front of the winery so wagons could be loaded for shipment. An underground tunnel goes from the winery to the basement of the house.
Bernhard continued to prosper until his death in 1902. Mrs. Bernhard also died in 1902. A daughter, Anna Barkhaus, sold the wine equipment in 1905, took out the grapes and put in fruit trees. Barkhaus descendants lived on the site until the 1960s. The complex was abandoned and deteriorating before concerned citizens managed to save and restore its buildings.
The Bernhard Complex is now part of the Placer County Museum system.