This unusual building, designed by O.E. Evans, is the sole survivor of a great succession of hotels that once operated in Auburn during the late 19th and early 20th century.
The stucco exterior, second story balcony, stepped parapet, and front veranda show a strong Mission style influence.
The first building to occupy this site was a cannery which Samuel Putnam converted into the Putnam House. The Putnam House burned in 1881, and Sam built a replacement hotel within six months. By the turn of the century, the hotel had a new owner, W.C. Conroy, and was called the Conroy Hotel. In 1905, a rear annex was added and was the only portion spared when the hotel burned in 1912. At the time of the fire, the Conroy was known as the Hotel Placer.
In 1914, this hotel was officially called the Hotel Auburn to distinguish it from the Auburn Hotel, then located at the corner of Elm Avenue and Lincoln Way.
The Hotel Auburn has been refurbished and converted to individual offices and is now known as the Auburn Promenade.