Standing today as a detached building, this two and one half story structure once stood on the opposite end of the block where it adjoined a now demolished row of commercial buildings. A Queen Anne style influence can be seen in the use of patterned shingles of varied styles and colors.
Before becoming one of Auburn's most famous attractions, this firehouse was home to the Auburn Volunteer Fire Department, one of the oldest volunteer groups west of the Mississippi. Organized in 1852, this group is still fighting Auburn fires.
At the back of the building there is a single story shed roof leanto, evidently an addition to accommodate longer vehicles. A steeply pitched roof rises above the second story to the bell tower where the bell still chimes at 8 a.m., 12 noon, and 5 p.m.